Many people sell themselves short . . . You might (or not) be one of those people with a big dream who has (or has NOT) allowed the world to conspire against you to keep you from pursuing your “Real” passion.
There are lots of “reasons” to choose a path other than the one to your Dream:
- Living someone else’s dream
- Needed THAT job to pay the bills (Instead doing what you want to do)
- Family – Got married and had kids and “couldn’t do that career”
- Wanted financial stability
- Hit a mental block and couldn’t figure out how to monetize the job of your dreams.
- Just wasn’t in the right place at the right time
Few of these reasons hold water because for every one of them there are a bajillion people with the same obstacles who “made it”
Never fear though . . . most successful people have “been there and done that” in terms of paying the dues of slogging through less than desirable jobs before achieving any semblance of success.
I’ve been reading Nathaniel Hawthorne . . . and offer the following short quips:
- “The little power you might once have possessed over the tribe of unrealities is gone! You have bartered it for a pittance of the public gold. Go, then, and earn your wages!”
- It was not merely during the three hours and a half which Uncle Sam claimed as his share of my daily life, that this wretched numbness held possession of me.
Hawthorne had accepted a job in the Customs House doing work that literally imprisoned his creativity and thwarted his ability to do what he loved to do – WRITE!
He tried to justify but always circled back to realize that “Uncle Sam” was literally sucking his creative life out of him whether he was at work or not.
“while he leans on the mighty arm of the Republic, his own proper strength departs from him. He loses, in an extent proportioned to the weakness or force of his original nature, the capability of self-support.”
In essence, he has sold his soul to this “job” or Career which is not in alignment with who he really is . . . and over time, the real him dies in a non “redeemable” way.
As morbid as all of this sounds, it does ring back thoughts of other quotes from other great thinkers of the same time – “the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation”
These are the 80% ers
I’m a believer that NO ONE has to resign dreams and aspirations . . .
To break those “chains” is more simple than most folks want to admit . . . It requires NAMING that for which you have REAL passion and take responsibility appropriate ACTION.
At Pareto Realty, we focus daily on OUR dreams and the dreams of our clients and we create space for the manifestation of these dreams . . . that’s why we smile more than the mass of men 🙂
If you’re in the mood for a move, contact us NOW to get this process of moving towards your dreams started.