When my computer starts acting wonky, I know it’s probably just overwhelmed.
After all . . . Day in and day out, the poor little thing hums along as I demand a CRAZY amount of work from it.
I open and close multiple programs and windows as I work, and I also know that there are programs updates and cookies and viruses and who knows what COMMANDING attention all at the same time.
Eventually, the brain reaches the end of the rope and starts acting sluggish . . . and if it’s REALLY swamped, it’ll just QUIT.
I have a routine to bring it back to “normal” operation that has never failed me.
- Shut down all open programs and windows.
- Open “Control Panel” and “Add/Remove Programs” and scan the programs to Uninstall any there I don’t need.
- Assess Apps – Delete all “Rarely Used”
- Visit “System Tools” to:
- Run a Disk Cleanup – and delete all of the trash
- Run the Disk Defragmenter
- Run an Antivirus Scan and cure anything discovered
- Finally – REBOOT the computer
The machine runs like NEW!
YOU and your business need these same “System Tools” during those times when you are feeling completely EXHAUSTED and OVERWHELMED.
We cannot serve anyone well if we’re hanging at the end of our rope.
So . . . Implement a new rule for yourself and your business and your customers.
At that very moment when you realize your goose is, indeed, COOKED, PAUSE THE GAME!
STOP what you are doing and clear everything aside.
- Shut down all open programs and windows – Turn off the cell phone and the computer
- Take out a single, clean sheet of paper and a pen and begin writing your list of everything that’s on your plate.
- Open “Control Panel” – Assess your list (“Add/Remove Programs”) and PRIORITIZE each one – Uninstall/Delete or table for another day any there you don’t need to do NOW.
- Assess Apps (Appointments) – Cancel/Delete all that are not IMPORTANT – Retain ONLY the appointments that will ultimately put money in your pocket
- Visit “System Tools” to check your process
- Reduce your pile – File papers where they belong and trash everything else
- Identify any DISTRACTIONS (Run the Disk Defragmenter) and neutralize them
- Identify “Toxic” time, energy, money suckers and get them OUT of your world (Run an Antivirus Scan and cure anything discovered)
- Finally – REBOOT – Begin your work with a fresh, newly focused perspective.
That’s all I have to say about THAT!
I hope it helps you be more efficient and sane.
If you REALLY want to significantly enhance your quality of life, schedule yourself into an hermetically sealed container for about 3 hours once a week to do all of the above.
You’ll soon find out that you’re reaching the end of your rope much less frequently.
and life will be GOOD!