They’ll take a MILE!
Some would conjecture that this is “Victimish” paranoia.
After all, “They” are not ALL out to take advantage of you, right?
That’s right, but how can you the differentiate the sheep from the wolves?
The safest default is never to give an inch.
Treat EVERYONE the same whether they’ve earned it or not.
“Shoe deals,” Favors, slight bends in the rules open a veritable Pandora’s Box of Permission to take advantage.
But . . . This seems so “Vanilla” . . . What about those times when there’s real hardship that could be eased by giving an inch?
How ’bout those VSP (Very Special People) who will ABSOLUTELY appreciate your “above the standard” treatment and would NEVER take advantage of your generosity in the future.
Standards are important because they “Set the bar” below which level NO Customer should EVER experience.
“Exceeding Standards” (giving an inch) is what we do for folks who we think DESERVE it and who know will appreciate our generosity.
A few indicators:
The “Right” receivers:
- Will humbly THANK YOU!
- Won’t brag to all their friends about the preferential treatment you gave them
- Will REFER your services every chance they get
- Will return the favor when you patronize their business
- Will introduce you to colleagues and friends who they know will resonate with you
- Won’t expect you to “Plush them” EVERY time they visit and will be SURPRISED when you do.
So go ahead . . . Give an inch . . . To the right people . . . and quit fretting about it.
PS – Don’t beat yourself up if you slip up and plush one of those “take a Milers” . . . Just smile and move on 🙂