How we communicate often differentiates the smooth deals from the nightmares.
In this world of high technology, it’s not uncommon to complete an entire real estate transaction without ever getting face-to-face with the other agent.
I like it better when I have more familiarity than their picture on my smart phone, don’t you?
What are our communication options?
I thought it would fun to do a “YAY!” and “BOO!” rundown of our various choices.
- YAY! Open 24/7 with on-line – Automates Feedback loop – Tracks showings
- BOO! Impersonal – breaks agent-to-agent interaction – Often botch Showing Instructions
- YAY! LEVERAGE – Handles calls and light admin – Lets us focus more on business
- BOO! Clients may feel “Distanced” from their REALTOR – First Impressions are CRITICAL, and one misstep by this person can cost $$$$ THOUSANDS
- YAY! It’s SMART! LEVERAGE! Multi-tasking tool – ALWAYS reachable
- BOO! It’s smarter than I – Complexity distracts – Feeds ADHD tendencies – ALWAYS reachable . . . Constant interruption makes focus (single-tasking) difficult
- YAY! Easy scanning device – Time and date stamps document
- BOO! Old School technology – Requires landline – Clunky
- YAY! Awesome for quick messages – FAST communication – can “sneak” it during meetings
- BOO! Distracting – BAD tool for serious conversations (negotiations) – DANGEROUS while driving – No chain of communication easily captured
- YAY! Provides a great “Chain of communication” record – Searchable – Synchs Contact Manager – Easy mass communication
- BOO! Easily ignored – important messages can fall into Spam folders – Many people not using it
- YAY! Lets you communicate what you’re thinking to your “Peeps” – Great for establishing a brand/Platform
- BOO! Lets you communicate what you’re thinking to your “Peeps” – Can sabotage your marketing efforts/platform if the message is dissonant
Face to face
- YAY! Creates REAL interpersonal interaction – Builds trust faster
- BOO! Takes more time – Other person can see who you REALLY are (may be a different look than the 10 year old profile picture)
- YAY! Cool technology and as close to interpersonal as you can get online
- BOO! Can be clunky – Both people have to have the software and hardware and know how to use it
- YAY! It’s FUN – SO many “Friends” (even people you don’t know are your friends) – Great tool for building a brand/platform
- BOO! Can be a time waster – BAD place to air your dirty laundry (potential for damaging reputation) – Invasion of privacy
- YAY! It’s FUN – Mentally fun for people to learn how to say a lot in only 140 characters. Can be a great tool for build Brand/platform
- BOO! Distraction – unfocused tweeting and random followers leads to cacophony
- YAY! It’s FUN – Good visibility tool – brand/platform builder – Community builder – Great way to create impromptu gatherings
- BOO! A little creepy letting everyone know where you are ALL the time – could be safety/security concern – HUGE distraction!