Odds are very low that many “Bosses” will print this list of 20 questions and immediately schedule “sit-downs” with all of their employees.
Most bosses wouldn’t DARE ask most of these questions because they don’t want to know the answers . . . Truth hurts when it’s “off-script” and not what you want to hear.
Leaders, on the other hand, might take a delightfully different tack.
These intrepid Leaders want to know the good, the bad, and the UGLY of whatever is happening in their organization, so they can continue to raise the bar of excellence.
These leaders don’t “preside over their employees”, they resolutely strive to do whatever they can do to make each day for their Team Members better than the day before.
What better way is there to discover how to create a culture of abundance and good will that leads to happy team members who are oh-so-more productive sans the interference of drama, than to come from genuine curiosity?
- What is our Mission?
- What is your role in accomplishing this mission?
- Do you have the knowledge you need to efficiently do your job?
- Do you have the right tools?
- Do you feel like you have enough support from the Leadership Team?
- Are you and your teammates working together as a team?
- What do you tell your friends and family about your job?
- When you’re out in public, what do you hear from folks about our company?
- Are you proud to be a member of this team?
- If you could change ONE thing about your job or process NOW, what would that be?
- What part of your job sometimes keeps you awake at night?
- Have you ever thought about leaving this company?
- Is there a particular cause or charity you actively support?
- When you’re off work, what are your favorite things to do (hobbies – activities – events)?
- Would you enjoy occasional “Team Building” field trips with our team?
- What’s that “GREAT IDEA” in your head that you think has potential to be a “Game Changer” for our team?
- What about your job and/or teammates is a “pet Peeve” . . . Drives you CRAZY?
- The Money – Be candid! Is our compensation model fair for you and your teammates?
- When you were a kid, what career did you want to be doing when you grow up?
- Who is your Hero?
Invite deeper understanding by follow up every response with a simple “Why?”
Followed by another “Why” . . . and then (for good measure) yet another “Why”!
So . . . Whether you’re a BOSS or a Leader, I’m eager to hear your thoughts.