I look at LOTS of houses because that’s part of what I do for a living.
Whether it’s previewing for a Buyer . . . and/or showing to Buyer clients . . . or to stay on top of the market, I always look at each house with a very discerning eye.
No-one appreciates a house that shows well more than I.
Sometimes (often), the home Seller and Listing agent fall short . . . and I walk away shaking my head, BECAUSE:
Most of the issues that cause a house not to show well are easily and inexpensively fixed.
I’d venture to say that 80% of these owners could invest less than $5,000 in improvements and net $20,000 MORE at the closing table 60 days later.
That’s a 400% return on their investment in 60 days.
Why don’t more people do this?
- They’re cocky because they think the market is HOT, and their house will sell anyway
- They’re lazy and don’t want to waste the time and energy it takes to manage the Prep and staging process
- They’re penny pinchers and don’t want to spend the money on the chance that it doesn’t result in a sale
- They’re skeptics/Pessimists/Knowitalls who claim to know more than the Real Estate Sales Professionals and Home Staging Professionals
- Their REALTORS let’m get away with it
- or . . . They simply don’t HAVE $5,000 to invest
What could $5,000 do for most houses that would be a game changer in the marketplace?
- Paint ALL of the Walls
- Clean ALL of the windows
- Replace/Clean ALL of the worn carpet
- Buff the hardwood floors
- CLEAN every room THOROUGHLY
- Replace the personalized ceiling fans and door/cabinet knobs
- Remove ALL debris – No clutter whatsoever in ANY room
- Trim all of the bushes
- Clean the front porch and front door impeccably
- NO PETS LOOSE IN THE HOUSE
- Leave a bowl of candy on the kitchen counter (be sure to include some dark chocolate)
To stay within budget, you may need to do some of the work yourself . . . Things like decluttering and cleaning and washing windows and trimming hedges, etc.
DO NOT do the painting or installing of flooring unless you happen to be a professional painter or carpet installer . . . In fact, DO NOT do ANYTHING that you are not “qualified” to do (Like drywall work . . . or trim work . . . or tile) because “we” know when it’s been done by a rookie.
There’s a big difference in preparing a house for the market properly and putting lipstick on a pig, and Buyers and REALTORS know the difference . . . You can NOT fake it.
Do this right . . . and you’ll reap 400% (or more) return within 60 days and you won’t have to “chase the market” by reducing your price over time until it sells (at a below market price).
This is tough love, and I wouldn’t hit you with it if I didn’t love you and wish the best for you.
Don’t forget to call me when you’re ready to get your house ready for the market . . . I might even pitch in on the effort and call in some of my trained professionals to do more for less money.
Let’s do this RIGHT the FIRST time!