Yesterday, I facilitated a meeting with the theme “All Things Digital”
This meeting is the bi-monthly rendition called “Small Broker Roundtable” at Greater Nashville REALTORS. The mission is to provide a safe place for Principal Brokers/Owners with 50 or fewer Affiliate agent members to gather, connect, and explore issues and opportunities we are facing in our market.
I decided to have some fun and lean towards the “Firehose to the mouth” tactic with full intent to overwhelm even the most tech savvy Real Estate Professionals.
So . . . I hit the internet and found over 140 “useful” websites and/or apps.
We began with 2 questions:
What’s your favorite Digital Tool?
What’s your largest frustration with Technology?
“Too Much – Too fast”
“Too many options”
“Sometimes technology creates more work than benefit”
“Short-lived tools” (Most @ 18 month cycle of significant change)”
“Learning curve of most of these tools too steep/cumbersome” (Both implementation and training for agents)
“Too many emails”
An interesting number of the folks in the room are using very simple tools (Spreadsheets) to track their businesses (Income and expenses and agent productivity.
There’s more, but here’s some wisdom.
- Don’t buy digital technology just for the sake of buying technology
- Identify what you need it to do before you start shopping
- Don’t fall for the “Free Trial” scam
- Never buy on impulse or because “If you buy now, you’ll get a discount!”
- Find other people who are currently using the tool you’re considering and “pick their brain” before buying
- Consider cost relating to scale. As your company grows, what will be the additional cost?
- Be aware of any Long term commitments (avoid these)
There were plenty other relevant comments . . . I’ve include below the mindboggling array of websites I offered the group with the disclaimer that there are many thousands MORE digital tools available on the internet. Any of us could easily derail our focus looking for the right tools.
I say KISS . . . Keep it Simple Silly!